Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Communication 2009, how do you communicate?


I know it has been awhile since my last posting but I must admit that I have been VERY VERY busy with family, work, school, and work! With today's technology there is no reason on this earth that you are unable to communicate with someone. I think must people now a days enjoy to send a text or Twit on Twitter, just for the simple fact that they don't have to hear that other person's voice. The funny thing is I am working on a paper for class about Process Improvement and I found myself taking a break to search for old friends on LinkedIn; does this mean I will pick up the phone and call them to chat? I doubt it, what on earth would I say? "hey it is Q from back in the day, how have you been?" Nine times out of ten I will probably communication via an email or a short message on LinkedIn, or Twitter. I even find myself sending my wife a text message instead of caller her on the phone. Now when I was in the Navy I enjoyed our phone conversations, but as I have grown a little older :) and technology has grown even faster than I; it is much easier to send her a quick SMS or an IM on one of her many messenagers. :) Sometimes, I find myself thinking back when I was little and my parents would tell me to sit back from the T.V. or my eyes will turn into squares from sitting so close. I think technology can be the root all miscommunication in the world today, how many emails have you misread and replied back with a response that made no sense, or better yet was a nasty response? I know I have done that quite a few times. I will leave you with this one last thought. Will you improve your communication? or will you hide behind technology and communicate digitally?

2 comments:

  1. hey uncle, you bring up two great questions..i must say we are all guilty of giving into technology. Text messages are cheaper than making a phone call and with the internet , you can do just about anything for free. well someone is paying for the internet but all the free wifi areas..lol. you know what i mean. there is this reason and that reason why we give into text messaging, twitters, facebook, emails, etc. technology sucks you in.
    i plan on improving my communication. there is something about hearing and knowing a person's voice, meeting people in person just to talk, the physical hug or eye contact, all of that cannot be received through the computer or cell phone. what is our society becoming? what will it be like 50 years from now with technology growing? i hope society realizes the importance of physical communication and touch.
    p.s. if you find time go to dentyne ice web site, they have this brilliant campaign called making face time all their adds are amazing..im serious! they make fun of technology.
    love ya and thanks for the comment on my blog! tell the family i said hi!

    ReplyDelete